Saturday, June 14, 2008

Discussion on Ethical Guidelines

Doctors observe ethical codes to which they adhere to. So do nurses, soldiers, teachers, professional helpers, industrial practitioners, etc. With the existence of this guidelines, how is it beneficial? Well, primarily ethics give us a “bible” to live by and help us to avoid malpractice.


As a future helping professional, I think it is very advantageous to us and to our clients that such guidelines exist. It protects both sides and ensures that a healthy helping relationship can exist between client and helper.


As for the class, we were able to discuss two ethics models that put industries into developmental stages of observing ethical codes. We learned about the Archie Carroll Model and the Reidenbach and Robin Model.


Both the Carroll and the Reidenbach & Robin models of industrial ethics give normative representations. It gives series of normative value statement which can be applied to classify a firm or industry’s behavior, particularly on issues that hedge around ethics or morality. Both models also show that companies usually start with only profit and success in mind, no matter what. The point is to establish the firm so as to produce profit and keep the operations going. Also, both models acknowledge that eventually, firms move on to a legalistic viewpoint (legal but not necessarily ethical), then to a more ethical or philanthropic attitude.


But they also differ in that the Reidenbach & Robin Model gives rise to the stage of “Emerging Ethical” (4th developmental stage), in which the company is going through the transition of not only following the law, but interpreting it in the most ethical manner.


I would consider the organization to which I currently belong to be in the Level 3 – Ethical stage for the Carroll model and in the Stage 4 – Emerging Ethical for the Reidenbach & Robin model. Because I belong to an institution and the clientele are students, their best interest is foremost in the management’s agenda. I remember the owner reiterating that as much as possible, he does not want any increase in tuition fees because the school is supposed to cater to the youth who belong to the poverty line. Also, the owner is not exactly particular in the profits that the school produces because aside from owning a number of establishments in the city, their family has already dedicated the school to the causes of the Catholic Church, along with the ideals and beliefs of a former Pope.


I am not a manager as of the moment but if I do become one, I would want to belong to the highest levels of both models. I do not want to be strictly legalistic in approaching issues within the organization but I would also want to decide for the best of majority of the persons involved.

Learning these ethical models and their developmental stages, I went on to reflect on the following personal questions.


How would I react if I was asked to act in a way that was ethically compromising to my moral position?

I would be reacting with obvious displeasure and unwillingness to comply with such requests. Even if it may be “dangerous” to my career, I would express my sentiments to the superior who asked me to do such task. I would immediately tell him or her that such an act is unethical and could cause a mar on my personal integrity, my company character and possibly, the organization’s reputation.


Would I react differently if my manager or superior said to me that refusal to comply would be a “career limiting decision”?

No. Because if such blackmail would be used by a superior then I don’t think that the organization has put much emphasis on the right values and building integrity amongst its top personnel. And if this is the case, then I would want to get out of that organization as soon as possible. I would not want to be given career progress opportunities but with the exchange of my beliefs and my ethical & moral standards.


How would I go about trying to reform poor practice in my organization?

Firstly, it has to start with myself. I cannot preach without practicing what I believe in. Also, actions speak louder than words. If people see that doing the right thing gives peace of mind, even if this peace does not equate to monetary gain, it is still more important to be able to be proud of honestly hard-earned salary than to enjoy ill-gotten wealth. Such integrity would also reflect on my productivity and working relationship with fellow workers. With this, I can be of good influence to them. Hopefully, I would be able to show them a better way of completing tasks without being morally compromised.


No comments: