Saturday, June 14, 2008

My Five-year Career Action Plan

By 2013, I will have (completely) earned a master’s degree in Counseling, be a licensed Counselor and working as an instructor in a Bible School.


Goal 1: Earn that master’s degree in Counseling

  • Present situation

    • In my first semester in the graduate school

    • Enrolled in the MS Psychology program

  • Identified dilemmas

    • A bit hesitant about shifting (because Psychology is my first love) yet currently is “forced” to shift because of RA 9258

    • Financial resources to be consistently enrolled until degree is completed (which would probably take 3 years)

  • Plan of action

    • Accept the need for the shift and at the same time, love a career field that I do not really feel inclined to

    • Make ends meet by having (an) extra source(s) of income


Goal 2: Get licensed

  • Present situation

    • Still in the 1st semester of graduate school

    • Cannot see myself as a lifelong professional counselor

  • Identified dilemma

    • A bit hesitant about being a licensed counselor

  • Plan of action

    • Help in actions that may do something about RA 9258

    • Shift to the Counseling program if the RA is totally pushed

    • Accept the fact that in the near future, the only way I can do what I love to do (as a professional helper) is to be licensed


Goal 3: Teach in a particular Bible School in Tagum

  • Present situation

    • Employed in a college institution in Davao City

    • Earning a master’s degree to get a license so that I will be more qualified to teach

  • Identified dilemma

    • Teaching would entail less income than what I dream, so I might not be able to provide my future family with everything they need (especially since I plan to send my future kids to really good schools)

  • Plan of action

    • Looking into the possibility of getting employed into good primary and secondary schools first (that might get my children free or less expensive education due to employee benefits) and then pursue the dream of teaching in the Bible School later (which would mean 2013 may not be the year to start a teaching career there).

No comments: