Saturday, May 10, 2008

Childhood Memories, Significant Achievements and Fondest Dreams

When we were instructed to think of our happiest childhood memories, our most significant achievement so far and our fondest dreams, scenes from family reunions immediately came to my mind. And a light, cheerful feeling came over me. It did not take me too long to think of the personal details that I could share to my group mates.

If asked to reminisce what happy memories during my childhood years left an eternal imprint on my mind, I would say it would be those summer and Christmas vacations when everyone in my mother’s side of the family would gather at my Amah’s (grandmother) house in Ozamis City (which also happens to be my birthplace). I remember the fun I had when we all had to wear red outfits during my grandmother’s birthday celebrations. I loved being with my cousins. Most of us were of the same age and we always looked forward to meeting, spending time with each other and updating how we were all doing (even in our young lives...haha!). I also remember my Ang Kong’s (grandfather) wake and funeral. But then, I do not remember crying or even feelings of sadness. What I do remember is the excitement that I felt when we were on our way to Ozamis City. My siblings and I had to miss our classes but I didn’t mind it then. I also remember that we all had to wear white outfits—which made quite an impression on me. I just thought that our family was so united, something like that.

What I consider to be my biggest achievement so far is the fact that I helped in establishing Zaphenath Paneah Performing Arts, Inc (ZPPAi). And that we were able to organize its biggest (so far) and first fundraising event last July 8, 2007 at the CYO Gym. This church-based organization was established last August 7, 2004 with the aim of reaching out to the children and youth of semi-depressed areas and giving them the chance to uncover their talents. We started to offer free workshops on dancing, singing and acting for these young people. And the group’s masterpiece is the musicale, Joseph, the Dreamer, which we have been able to perform for several times in Davao City, Tagum, Kidapawan, Cagayan de Oro, Valencia and as far as Cebu. It’s not actually the number of times that we have performed or the amount of money that we were able to raise (because we weren’t actually able to raise any..haha!), but what makes that group so significant to me is that we were able to reach out to those kids and empower them by helping them unleash their talents that could have possibly died if they weren’t given the proper venue to showcase it. And foremostly, ZPPAi is aiming at helping these young people grow in the spiritual aspect.

And my fondest dream is to teach in the Bible School (in Tagum) where my father taught for almost a decade. I know it wouldn’t make me a very rich person but ever since I was in high school, I have been dreaming of being educated there and afterwards, impart what I’ve learned to the next generation. That school trains future Pastors and Bible women, and since I can’t actually see myself devoted to the kind of work that they do, then I guess I can contribute by mentoring and facilitating learning in them (maybe teach them a subject or two in Counseling, that is if they won’t be punished by law for doing so without license, haha!).

Sharing these personal details with my classmates (even if I don’t know most of them that well) was fine for me. Thinking about these things gave me such a cheerful feeling that it was a pleasure to share the thoughts to other people. I’m sure my group mates also felt the same way; we all said a lot of things showing that inhibitions were actually low. And it did not take us so much time to think about what we were going to say so I guess that like me, most of the people in my group were eager to share those personal stuff.

I am actually thankful for the activity. Mostly because it gave a good, pleasant feeling that stayed with me until the next day. It reminded me of good old days, of what I was capable of and of where my heart was leading me to. Plus, it drove away the slight headache that I was having after my first class that Saturday (honestly! hahaĆ¼).

No comments: