Monday, May 12, 2008

Counselor-in-Training

Learning about the skills of an effective counselor was a particularly enjoyable part of the journey for me. I discovered that there are many skills and techniques that counselors can employ to help a counselee in the best way possible. That was why I enjoyed answering the journals. There, I found out that I needed to improve my reflecting skills, that I had to practice learning how to confront effectively, that I have to be acquainted with my client’s culture in order to invite him/her to trust me and our counseling relationship and soon, to self-disclose.

Also, I took note of my prejudices and biases. It was then that I realized that I could not be an effective counselor to many groups of people because I held assumptions about them—like gays, lesbians, and the sexually liberated. Although up to this moment, I still have to work on the skill of being non-judgmental, I have acknowledged the fact that my limited world kept me from understanding these groups of people who also have their own stories to tell.

When I was reading Perry’s developmental stages of counselors, I was quite happy to know that my anxiousness about not being able to choose from the variation of approaches that counselors appropriately was quite normal for a counselor-in-training. Learning more about counseling has given me apprehension, which puzzled me. Why was I getting more worried when I was learning more? Shouldn’t I be more confident now? Why do a lot of thoughts race through my mind when I’m supposed to respond to a counselee’s statement? Well, Perry was quite comforting when he stated that it is quite normal for a starting counselor to be overwhelmed by the many possible ways to lead the direction of the counseling to. I had to give myself a break! I still have a lot to learn, to practice and to master!

For the moment, with my awareness of my need for more practice, I have tried to do actual counseling whenever I could. When friends would start sharing to me a problem or situation that they are concerned about, I would tell them that I would be in my “therapeutic helper” mode instead of just being the “therapeutic friend”. Yes, I still have doubts about committing to be a counselor for life, but I’m enjoying that part of me for the moment. Being able to help others with what I’ve learned and even helping myself to be an effective helper.

This counseling class has given me a lot of insights. My reflections in my journals would not hopefully go to waste as I review them and evaluate if I have improved and what areas I still have to work on. Going into counseling does entail a lot of work. Counselors themselves have to be mentally, physically and psychologically healthy to be able to help people who are having difficulty coping with their own life events and stresses. Maintaining that good fit also requires being counseled myself and being open to feedback, correction and more lessons. It is yet unclear what the future brings, but with the knowledge that I have gained, I am hoping that I would be able to look forward positively and to impart that positive outlook to my future counselees.

No comments: