Monday, May 12, 2008

Expressing Myself

In my family, there is much freedom of expression. We can express both verbally and nonverbally when we are worried, angry, even sad. Yet, there is also much limitation. Because I feel that it is awkward when we express something that might be “corny”. This includes love, sadness due to personal love affairs and things like that. I can’t say that it’s not allowed, it’s just that we’re not used to it so it feels awkward. It’s a good thing that cards, letters and text messages exist because it is through writing that we are able to let other members of the family know that we love them, because saying it face to face really is awkward and “corny” (hehe..).
I don’t think this affects much my willingness to listen to client’s feelings. Because I really want to hear the affective state of my client regarding his/her dilemma. In hearing what they feel, what would influence my willingness to listen is the client’s being honest in what he/she is saying.
I am quite comfortable about bringing up an issue with my significant others especially if I know I have a point reason of doing so. This is when I am sure that not talking about the issue would be unhealthy and unbeneficial for most people concerned. I can be both tactful and confrontational, but usually, I do things more with tact, especially when these are vulnerable issues that most would be uncomfortable talking about. Because putting myself in the others’ place, I would also appreciate it more if the person who brought up the issue would do so delicately, not causing any injury (or if there’s any, just slight ones) to everyone involved.

No comments: