Monday, May 12, 2008

Confronting...

I used to be the too polite kind. But I remember an instance when I came too strong because I felt that the persons I confronted were standing in the way of something that I wholeheartedly believed in. And that they had to be “put in their right place” for the cause to succeed. I guess the tendency to come too polite or too strong would depend on how I feel about the issue. If it’s something that can be handled in the kindest manner, then I would probably confront courteously. But if I feel so much for the issue, there’s a bigger probability that I’ll come strong.
There was a time when I felt I had to agree with almost everything that this person would say because I having a disagreement with her would be too tiresome for my time. However, I later realized that it was more tiring to agree with something that I personally oppose, just to stay in “good terms” with that person.
If I had been my own counselor, I would have confronted myself by showing my irrational beliefs: that I had to stay in good terms with the person and that it’s better not to stay true to myself to avoid tiresome disagreements. And being a client, I would have been thankful for the enlightenment! I can’t believe I actually talked myself to be “fake” just to make sure I don’t get into arguments with her.

No comments: